Skip to main content

We don't deserve

We don’t deserve.

I was the only doctor who could treat the spirits, the ghosts as the outside world call them, but for me they were just my patients. I gave them special preference, and I referred them as my specials. Humans were normal patients.
This slight inclination to them, it affected my business. The humans weren’t ready to get treated by me even though I had the highest qualifications, the best success rate, and was named as one of the best surgeons for the past year.
The humans didn’t like them but it wasn’t the case with the spirits. The spirits were much more open minded, they didn’t mind that their doctor was human, they didn’t differentiate based on species, human, animal or not. They were really good people, it was just that the way humans treated them, they had to react and that was the reason for the war going on between the humans and the spirits. And me, I was at the center of it.
Humans considered me as a traitor, whereas the dead considered me as their only hope, only link to connect them back to the real world, help them coexist with the living again.
There were a lot of protests and violence exhibited in front of clinics. This led to people even killing each other and then the media blaming the dead for controlling the human for committing the crime. Humans took advantage of the innocence and the vulnerability. They just wanted a war.
They knew they had already destroyed their planet, climate change had already started, the sea levels were rising at an alarming rate.
Everyday there was news of some natural calamity taking place and the deaths that occurred with it. Humans, their world was surely coming to an end, it was a slow, gradual, progressive but it was happening right in front of them. It was too late now.
They blamed the dead, the spirits for it. The spirits were the future of the planet, after the humans went extinct, they could live peacefully. The climate and the environment didn’t affect them, they would be walking the face of the future Earth with no plants, or any sort of life.
The spirits had the upper hand, nothing to lose. If the humans didn’t let them live peacefully now they would definitely get it in the future. All they wanted was to coexist peacefully. They didn’t want control over anything. But humans they just don’t understand, they don’t realize until it’s too late.
I was soon called to the court. The case was to decide whether I could treat both the dead and the living. The humans had objections against it.
“Doctor, why are you treating the already dead. Your treatment is absolutely useless in their case. So why ignore our species and help them” the prosecution said.
“Well…. the way I say it, they aren’t dead, they are as alive as us, they do suffer from ailments and diseases and as a person who has taken vow to service people. I consider them people too.”
“In that case, Doctor, you should only stick to treating them, the humans don’t want doctors like you who differentiate among his patients.”
He didn’t appeal to the judge.
The decision was already given.
“Doctor, after hearing all the witnesses and your case. We the humans thereby decline all the services you have to offer for us. All of your qualifications and achievements have been nullified and you can’t practice as a professional surgeon on the human species again.”
Everyone in the court started clapping to this. They felt like they had done justice.
I saw the leader of the dead, sitting in front. He was disappointed with it.
“I would like to say something” he stood up from his seat.
The court was silent again, they were scared of him. He had never used his powers but they knew that he could destroy the world by himself if he wanted to.
“Today……this decision has made me lose faith in your species. The little hope that I had of your kindness, that is gone. This man….” he pointed at me with his sharp claw finger.
“This man to me stands for the real human. He treated us just like we were any of his patients. He has saved a lot of lives for us. We will never forget what he has done for us. And you should too. He has served you people his entire lives and in the end, he gets this.”
He looked at the people “The world is coming to a slow end. We need to let go of our boundaries, accept that there is life outside you. Accept that Earth and you, are just a tiny speck in this vast universe. We need to be humble to each other. Please……. let us save our only planet” he requested.
 “What has been done, is done. And we will take care of ourselves” the human representative announced without even thinking.
And that was it.


Hundred years later, I am still on planet Earth. But it isn’t the same planet it once was. Now only the dead walk on it. Humans didn’t change their attitude after so many warnings. Like how the dead say it here “Humans deserved extinction”. I am slowly accepting the fact.

Popular posts from this blog

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which provided some economical value for the town. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all below par socio economic status. The only concret…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…

The diary of a freedom fighter

The diary of a freedom fighter.
I set the air condition to 18 C, turbo mode on, directed the air flow to my bed. Refreshed after a steaming, hot water shower I crashed, face first on my crisply draped bed. As the cool air performed its duty of drying me, I repositioned myself from prone to supine. A wet patch Today I decided to start a new book. But this time, it wasn’t a bestseller by a famous author, or a critically acclaimed book by an unknown author, or a book suggested by my reader friends (who read one book a year, so it had to be good) or a book recommended by amazon for me. Today, it was my grandfather’s diary, which my father had given me when I was 15 years old. The book dated back to the 1940s and it was a memoir of my grandfather’s time in pre-independent India. After 10 years of procrastination, finally the faded black cover of the diary was staring at me. I took a deep sniff of the approximately middle pages of the book. I did it before every new book. The peculiar, ink …