Skip to main content

The illness

The illness.


They would come any moment now. I was locked away in a room. The silence in the room made me restless, a soft ring echoed in my ears. I felt as if my brain was going to explode.
I sat with my legs folded to my chest on the bed, alone waiting for them to come and torture me, pierce me with the needles, experiment on my body.
I kept looking at the door anticipating the keys and then I heard the keys unlocking the door.
They were here.
I had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide.
He came in with his assistant.
I jumped out of the bed and ran to the corner of the room. I tried pushing myself against the wall, but that was the end. There was no escape.
I crouched myself against the wall.
 The duo approached me. He wore a long white full coat reaching down to his knees, his face was pale white and the wrinkled severely, especially around the corner of his eyes and his mouth. The few strands of white hair were tightly tied back to a small bun; his scalp was shining through it. A wide smile across his face as he approached me. I noticed a long needle in his hand, it was the longest needle I had ever seen. And I hated needles, even the sight of it made me scared.
And his assistant, she wore a tight white cloth reaching until her knees and tightened around the waist with a thin white belt. She was too thin and her cheek bones were popping out from her face. She had huge dark circles under her eyes. Her bright red lipstick wasn’t properly applied and it came out from the corner of her lips at many places. She was holding a huge scissor in her hand.
“Please don’t, please….” I started crying.
They didn’t stop.
“We are doing this for your own good……. listen to me. We can help you.” He said to me.
“No…..No.” I screamed.
They stopped there for a moment.
 “You are not helping me. You are using my body. You, people who sent me here, all of you. Let me go” I threw my arms in the air.
“Please calm down……. we won’t hurt you” he said as they approached me again.
“I won’t let you do this to me…….” I wouldn’t let them torture me. I slowly reached for the pen knife hidden in my right sock.
And with one swift motion, I propelled from my crouching position and jumped on her. She was closer to me than him.
I took her to the ground and was on top of her. With all my force, I attacked her face, I punctured her right cheek bone. I didn’t stop, I attacked her right eye, directly piercing through it. The knife went deep inside her eye socket and blood spurted onto my face. I attacked the same spot several times.
But he came and grabbed me from behind. He had his arms locked behind my back, his grip was too strong.
“Emergency……We need backup medical emergency right away” he shouted to his phone.
The room was immediately lit up with red lights. It was an emergency situation.
He took away my knife and dragged me along the floor to the bed.
I started kicking my legs, I even head-butted his nose behind which made him let go but he immediately recovered and threw me to the bed.
Just like that, his men had arrived. Now I couldn’t do anything. There were too many of them. They held my hands to the side of the bed and tied my wrists tightly. My legs were also tied up.
She was still rolling on the floor in pain with her hands covering her mutilated eyeball. Seeing her in pain gave me some satisfaction.
 He had a firm grip on my hair and pulled me up, the pain was unbearable. I could feel the hair tearing away from my scalp. One of his men handed the scissors. He cut of a majority of the hair.
Then he took out his needle, attached it with a tube filled with light yellow serum.
He palpated for the veins in my neck. I shook my head violently several times but he pulled my hair back tightly and got me steady.
He injected the full liquid into my body, and slowly I could feel myself drifting away to the darkness.


From the window, a man was crying as he watched his wife in this state. But he couldn’t help it. She was mentally ill, and the illness had already caused the death of their three-year-old son. She was sentenced to mental asylum and treatment by the court. And also considering the fact that she was a violent prisoner, the doctors and the hospital had the right to use any method of torture or force to keep patient under control.

Popular posts from this blog

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which made this small town famous. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all low socio economic status and only huts everywhere. The only buil…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…