Skip to main content

Handicapped

Handicapped.


He was driving fast and rash. He didn’t follow any of the traffic rules and finally he hit a car in front of him.
The guy didn’t want to loose this chance, he got out from the car and started screaming at this man. A crowd had gathered and all of them were blaming this man for rash driving.
His car was a luxury brand car, and it would cost him a lot but he looked like a rich man.
He got out of the car, all of them suddenly stopped their shouting and looked at the man.
The man was in a dressed perfectly in a suit and tie, he had his shades on him which he slowly placed it on the forehead. But he was handicapped, his pants on the left leg were shortened to his knees and he was balancing on his crutches.

This handicapped man knew what people were thinking about him. How did a handicapped man be so rich? By default, handicapped people are supposed to be poor or dying and they needed some time to realize that he was an exception to it. He was a successful handicap.

The man wasn’t born to a rich family or he had inherited anything. He was self-made. He remembered the day when he started. He didn’t have a degree and stayed in a NGO center. Then he had dreamt of becoming a businessman, he wanted to create an empire.
So he didn’t have any money but he had a lot of shoes which he was given in the center. He started selling them door to door. He worked hard. There was nothing unique or different about the shoes, the only unique thing was that a handicapped person was selling shoes. So most of his customers bought them just for his sake. They like that he was trying to work hard.
He didn’t mind that people were buying because he was handicapped, he was quick to realize that that was his strongest point. So with the minimum amount he developed shoes specially designed for the handicapped. The shoes, he marketed them well, saying it was more comfortable and better suited for the handicapped who stress their weigh on one leg. He created a niche product and he scaled to other categories as well.
He didn’t even realize that he had a successful company now. And it was all because of the sympathy he got from his customers. Now he didn’t need the sympathy anymore, his shoe brand produced and made some of the top products. Now the shoes were really good.

The handicap man came back from his thoughts.
“I’m sorry, I’ll pay for that. Don’t worry. Tell me how much” he apologized to the man.
The man was staring at him like he was alien replied “No Sir, it fine, I’m sure you didn’t mean it. You can carry on Sir. It’s fine”
“I’ll pay for it.” The handicap asked again.
“No Sir, it’s absolutely fine. Carry on” he was treating the handicap with respect.
 The handicap man put on his shades, got inside his car. His girlfriend was sitting beside him adjusting her makeup.

The handicap man smiled to himself and carried on.

Message: Being handicapped can be your biggest strength if you know how to deal with it.


Popular posts from this blog

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which provided some economical value for the town. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all below par socio economic status. The only concret…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…

The diary of a freedom fighter

The diary of a freedom fighter.
I set the air condition to 18 C, turbo mode on, directed the air flow to my bed. Refreshed after a steaming, hot water shower I crashed, face first on my crisply draped bed. As the cool air performed its duty of drying me, I repositioned myself from prone to supine. A wet patch Today I decided to start a new book. But this time, it wasn’t a bestseller by a famous author, or a critically acclaimed book by an unknown author, or a book suggested by my reader friends (who read one book a year, so it had to be good) or a book recommended by amazon for me. Today, it was my grandfather’s diary, which my father had given me when I was 15 years old. The book dated back to the 1940s and it was a memoir of my grandfather’s time in pre-independent India. After 10 years of procrastination, finally the faded black cover of the diary was staring at me. I took a deep sniff of the approximately middle pages of the book. I did it before every new book. The peculiar, ink …