Skip to main content

The Magic Builder

The Magic builder.

“Come one……five more…….” Rajesh shouted at my ears.
I couldn’t do it, I wanted to quit. My legs were dead, it was leg day, it was my last variation, last set of squats. I always hated legs, I didn’t want to work those muscles, it was boring and it was painful, but Rajesh made sure I do it every week at least once.
He always used to say “You don’t want to look like a chicken in front of them.”
I still had five more to go. These were the last ones but these last counts were the ones which mattered the most, the ones which would grow the muscle the most.
“Come on, lets go……remember why you started” Rajesh said as he stood behind me, wrapping his arms around my chest from the back for support.
I took a lot of short breaths.
With all my energy, I pushed my legs up and lifted the 150 Kg rod on my shoulders.
“One……….Yes come one” Rajesh encouraged me.
Again, went down, flexed my knees, pushed my glutes back. Came up again.
“Two, three……….Four………Come on……..last one……..”
I didn’t have the energy, I couldn’t get up.
“Get up…..”Rajesh shouted.
“Yeaahhhhhhh” I screamed my lungs out as I finally made it.
 I couldn’t stand anymore, so I fell on the floor and let myself recover.
“Good job man…….....good job” Rajesh patted my chest as he went to the dressing room..  Our workout was done for the day.
150kgs wasn’t my highest but the number of variations of excercises and reps had increased over the past few months of training. I was happy with my body for now.
I rested for a few minutes and headed back to the dressing room. Now it was time for protein supplements and a good steam bath.
The competition was only a month away and I was really expecting to be among the top three.
The last four years I had completely dedicated to make my body the best in the world. But only till I really started working out, I realized it wasn’t just about years of hard work, dedication, struggle and defeat. Bodybuilding was much more than that. It was a way of life.
Then the supplements and the diet which is more important than the workout, it didn’t come easy. Until I gained some attention as a bodybuilder, by competing in a few places, I had to somehow pay the expenses of the supplements myself. The expenses were crazy even for a normal middle class worker with a good salary. I was just a trainer in a gym. Those years were difficult, but I took the risk, I invested all the cash I had on my body and fortunately my body grew like how I wanted. I came first in a few local competetions, then advanced to district, next year to state and then finally I got the big break when I came second in the nationals. The result was unexpected and I had shocked some serious contenders. After that, things became a little easy. I got sponsorship from a major protein company, my diet an everything was delivered to my home on time, seven times a day, weighed and perfectly balanced. After the nationals got multiple invites for the international competetions and finally the money also came along. I got sponserships and ads, I want broke anymore. I had my own car and my own house.
Next month was going to be my first, and it was one of the Arnold Classics, one of the most prestigious events. Only the top bodybuilders of the world came there.
I was nervous but I knew I had a chance. At 28 yrs old, I would be one of the youngest competetors out there.
The dressing room was huge, I passed through the general steam section which was for the general public to reach my locker. We the professionals had a separate one.
I took out my favourite cookie cream whey protein powder. I added two scoops protein, two bananas to my jar shaker, added cold milk and took a sip. It was the best shake ever.
“well, today was good. The muscle definition on your legs is getting better.” Rajesh said as he went to his locker and searched for his clothes.
“Yeah, lets hope for the best”
As I was drinking my protein, Shikar entered the locker. He was one of the top in the field and my competitor in the upcoming tournament.
He smiled at me, I smiled back. We didn’t talk at all.
Shikar was wearing a loose workout sleeveless top and tightfitting pants.
He was huge, he was a monster at 6’4 and weighing 120kgs. His side chest was bigger than the width of any average man chest, biceps bigger than average legs. His legs were so huge that he couldn’t walk properly due to the friction between the two inner thighs touching each other.
Shikar would win this for sure, I was aiming for top three anyways. But one thing I noticed was that just two days back, when I last saw him. He had grown a lot in the last two days. It wasn’t possible, no ordinary supplement, steroid or hormone could do it.
Rajesh came and sat next to me.
“He has become huge very fast” I asked.
“Yes, it always happens before the competition. It’s the supplement. He doesn’t share it with anyone. He makes it himself. I don’t know but everybody knows it. It’s that magic protein” he said as he prepared to leave.
“Oh, wonder whats in it”
“That’s what we all want to know.”
I saw Shikar turning his back to me and filling his shaker with the proteins.
“Ok bro, see you tomorrow morning” Rajesh said.
“Yeah see you”
Shikar kept the protein back in his locker and locked it.
He took a sip and walked past to the steam. I looked away.
I decided to check out the what was in it. This gym was professionals and closed for only one hour full day. I would come back when it closed.
I wanted to win badly. I wanted to make history, shock the world. And for that I needed to do this.
At 330 early morning I came, entered through the back, the keys were given only for the professionals. Shikar wasn’t there, no one was there.
Locker no 11, I went straight to it.
The lock I easily removed, I had a special laser instrument given to me by a friend of mine who was a tech genius. The laser opened the lock and also sealed the lock back up. The laser light passed through the lock hole and transform itself to the shape of the key required inside it, unlocking it. It was the best innovation ever, and was not released to the market.
Yes, the protein was there. It was just like any other. White powder but this had no smell.
I took a pinch and tasted it, no taste also.
I took one scoop, put it in my cup and escaped from there.
I reached home, took three fourths of it and added milk. I drank the whole thing.
I removed my shirt and observed. A few seconds later, I saw the changes. It was happening in front of me. My chest was growing, I could see it move forwards, my biceps got slightly bigger, my traps grew bigger. My legs expanded and caused a tear in my briefs. The change was unbelievable and too much.
It was amazing. I need this to be the best. And I need to be the exclusive user of it. I had no other choice, I had to get rid of Shikar. But there was another way, where no one would get hurt and I could make a lot of money.
I decided to start my own protein company.
A year later. I walked to the balcony of my 11000 sqaure feet mansion, looking at the amazing view of the vast atlantic ocean.
It had been just seven months since I released my flagship protein product “the Magic builder” and it had already crossed revenues 2 billion and my protein company “Magic whey” was worth around 50 billion. “The Magic Builder” was rated the best and the most efficient protein to be ever produced, I was on the cover of the Forbes Magazine and entered the Forbes 400 billionare list at number 10. I was no more a bodybuilder, my first international competition was my last.
“It has been an amazing journey, hasn’t it” Shikar patted my back. We were on our private island which we recently bought.
“yes, beautiful” I had achieved everything I ever wanted.
It was kind of weird I had achieved so much with a product which I didn’t even make.
I took Shikar’s protein, asked my scientist friend to find out the components, explained my intentions of starting a protein company. All I had to so was give him some royalty deal.
Patented the formula and then approach Shikar. He had no other choice but to agree on my deal. I gave him a part of my company and then the rest is history.
The journey of greatness, it starts with an idea. The idea doesn’t necessarily have to be yours.

“Good companies copy, great companies steal ideas”. It has worked for a lot of greats and it has worked for me now.

Popular posts from this blog

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which provided some economical value for the town. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all below par socio economic status. The only concret…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…

The diary of a freedom fighter

The diary of a freedom fighter.
I set the air condition to 18 C, turbo mode on, directed the air flow to my bed. Refreshed after a steaming, hot water shower I crashed, face first on my crisply draped bed. As the cool air performed its duty of drying me, I repositioned myself from prone to supine. A wet patch Today I decided to start a new book. But this time, it wasn’t a bestseller by a famous author, or a critically acclaimed book by an unknown author, or a book suggested by my reader friends (who read one book a year, so it had to be good) or a book recommended by amazon for me. Today, it was my grandfather’s diary, which my father had given me when I was 15 years old. The book dated back to the 1940s and it was a memoir of my grandfather’s time in pre-independent India. After 10 years of procrastination, finally the faded black cover of the diary was staring at me. I took a deep sniff of the approximately middle pages of the book. I did it before every new book. The peculiar, ink …