Skip to main content

A chapter of my upcoming book

Nishanth slowly opened his eyes. He was in supine position. He could not move his arms nor his legs, his hands were placed on either side of his body, a few centimetres away from the waist. His forearm and arm were moving towards the axilla where it was finally in contact. His hands were fixed by two separate metal bands which was fixed to the side metal rim of his bed, one on the wrist and other midway on the forearm. The metal bands were tight and no matter how much force he apllied, he could not even turn his hands a few millimetres. His legs were split a few centimetres and were fxed at the ankle joint by a single metal band which was double the size of the wrist metal bands. The metal bands passed through the bed onto the underside of the bed which was completely covered. A bright beam of light suddenly flashed from above on Nishanth blinding him for a few seconds. Then the bed above his waist slowly started moving up forming an inclination, making Nishanth sit along the slope. It stopped exactly at 45 degree. His pupils were almost adjusted to the light. He saw the lights directly focused on him, it was the same lights they used for surgeries and OT procedures but he could not understand as to why he was on the table. As far as he could remember he was not suffering from cancer or any other major illness. He could see a man approaching him but his vision was not recovered completely, he tried to focus. Now the image was getting clear, he noticed a short statured man approaching him. He wore spectacles and some sort of digital band across his forehead. Now Nishanth could recognize the familiar face. It was Ramdas.
Ramdas stood in front of Nishanth holding a helmet with large headphones on its sides and a framework of metal strips running on the top of it forming unequal gaps which would allow strands of hair to come out when placed on Nishanth’s head. Ramdas placed the helmet on his head.
“It will all be over very soon. Dont worry.” He said.
“What will be over… what will be over?” Nishanth was panicking, he was breathing heavily.
Ramdas did not reply. He went over to the table and picked up the remote. The remote was black in colour and was slightly larger than his palm. It had a red regulator with numbers on it increasing in the clockwise direction. Ramdas had his grip on the regulator ready to turn. Now he turned towards Nishanth. For a few seconds they both looked at each other, eye to eye. Ramdas could sense the fear and anxiety liberated from his subject’s body. Nishanth’s eyes were like those of a lion being tamed by the ring master. Ramdas rotated the switch swiftly.
“Nooooo…Noooo…..NO!” Nishanth woke up gasping for air. It took him some time to realize that it was a dream, he slowly steadied his breathing. It was morning. He had never experienced such a dream before, it was a strange dream. Usually he did not get dreams, he slept as soon as he fell on his bed because he worked late and he hardly slept for 5 hours. But sometimes, Sundays when he went for work late, he had dreams, not like these but mostly his sex fantasies. He was 32 years old and was a virgin. So it helped him satisfy his needs. But this dream scared him. He thought about Ramdas’s offer to participate in this experiment and decided that he would call Ramdas and clear all his doubts about this scientifc experiment. But soon he forgot about it because today he had a date with Navya which was more important to him than anything else in the world. Navya was his present. Today was the day. He thought.
The book is available on
https://www.flipkart.com/strive-endeavour-change-world-english/p/itmedheyxyvmxdj4?pid=9781943851324
http://www.amazon.in/dp/1943851328
email: saurish.hegde@gmail.com

Popular posts from this blog

The illness

The illness.

They would come any moment now. I was locked away in a room. The silence in the room made me restless, a soft ring echoed in my ears. I felt as if my brain was going to explode. I sat with my legs folded to my chest on the bed, alone waiting for them to come and torture me, pierce me with the needles, experiment on my body. I kept looking at the door anticipating the keys and then I heard the keys unlocking the door. They were here. I had nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. He came in with his assistant. I jumped out of the bed and ran to the corner of the room. I tried pushing myself against the wall, but that was the end. There was no escape. I crouched myself against the wall.  The duo approached me. He wore a long white full coat reaching down to his knees, his face was pale white and the wrinkled severely, especially around the corner of his eyes and his mouth. The few strands of white hair were tightly tied back to a small bun; his scalp was shining through it. A wide…

Under attack

Under Attack

“We have a situation at the government district hospital. There seems to be an unidentified individual who has taken over wards on the right wing of the building. The doctors say he headed towards the paediatrics ward, and that he had a handgun with him, You need to report there immediately. We will send backup as soon as possible. We have to sort it out before the situation escalates to national news.” The chief commissioner gave the order. This was my first year as an inspector of this small town and this was a very delicate case to handle, in fact it required planning and a trained squad. I wasn’t ready for this but there was no other way. All the other officers were posted for security for the Minter of Energy who was visiting a Dam site for hydroelectricity opportunities. This Dam was the only thing which made this small town famous. There was nothing much here. Population was below ten thousand, all low socio economic status and only huts everywhere. The only buil…

The abandoned

The Abandoned
Mr. Kuthappa leaned against the wall adjacent to his bed and sipped the brownish, gold liquid from a tetra pack. Abstaining from what my eyes were showing “Mr. Kuthappa, what is that” I paced myself towards him, to show my authority, to demand the respect I deserved, to remind him he was the patient and I was the doctor. But my angry catwalk didn’t seem to intimidate him. Nothing was going to bother him now and we both knew I couldn’t save him with my knowledge or medications. It was too late. His body was completely submerged in the sea of alcohol. He continued sucking through the small hole of the tetra pack waiting to hit the sea bed. This was also a record new low in my life. An alcoholic drinking right in front of his doctor. “Oh, this” he let the pack swing between his index and thumb fingers. “This is what has guided me for the past 25 years. Always there for me in my bad times and good times.” Kuthappa gulped the remaining, squeezed the packet like a toothpas…